The Advanced Degree category of the EB-2 visa is available for persons who seek to work in a profession that requires either more than a U.S. bachelor’s degree (or its foreign equivalent) plus five years of progressive experience, or a U.S. master’s degree (or its foreign equivalent), as the minimum education requirement to be employed in the job’s industry or field.  Some industries, such as for medical doctors, require a doctorate to enter the field.

An EB-2 visa petition for an Advance Degree professional is commenced through the Labor Certification process that is sought with the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) by a prospective U.S. employer.  Some Advance Degree professionals are exempt from the labor certification process if they are found by USCIS to work in a field for which it is in the U.S. National Interest to waive the requirement of labor certification.  Hence, without a waiver of the requirement, all employers seeking to hire an EB-2 Advance Degree Professionals will have to use the labor certification process.